Pokémon Go now lets players battle against Team Rocket bosses, with each of them using different Pokémon.
Battling the bosses is a mandatory step in the monthly Team Rocket Special Research, so if you want a Shadow Legendary Pokémon, you’ll have to take them on.
Arlo is one of the Team Rocket gym leaders, and arguably the hardest of the three. He uses a mix of flying- and bug-type Pokémon, with some other types thrown in there.
How do I find Arlo?
Take down Team Rocket grunts at PokéStops to get six Mysterious Components. After obtaining six, they’ll piece together into a tracker to find a Team Rocket leader. You’ll battle one of the three gym leaders at various PokéStops marked by the tracker. You won’t know which gym leader is there, but their locations only change once per day so you should have plenty of time to find the one you’re looking for.
What Pokémon does Arlo use?
Arlo uses three Pokémon, and while his first is always the same, his second and third Pokémon will vary. His possible team members are listed below:
- First Pokémon: Scyther
- Second Pokémon: Gyarados/Crobat/Magnezone
- Third Pokémon: Charizard/Dragonite/Scizor
What Pokémon should I use against Arlo?
Cliff uses a lot of flying- and bug-types, so using fire- and electric-types are a safe bet.
- Melmetal with Thunder Shock and Rock Slide (Best on Arlo’s bug- and flying-types like Scyther, Crobat, and Gyarados)
- Moltres with Fire Spin and Sky Attack (Best on Arlo’s bug-types like Scyther and Scizor)
- Zapdos with Thunder Shock and Thunderbolt/Ancient Power (Best on Arlo’s flying-types like Gyarados, Crobat, and Charizard )
- Tyranitar with Smack Down and Stone Edge (Best on Arlo’s flying types like Charizard, Dragonite, Crobat, and Gyarados)
While these counters will have your bases covered, it’s a wise idea to always start with Melmetal (packing Thunder Shock and Rock Slide). You’ll want the fast charge move like Rock Slide to force Arlo’s Scyther to use its two shields super early. This is definitely the hardest part of the fight. Once you get past Scyther the rest of the fight should be much easier with the above counters.